Credit Risk Analyst - Lead
As a Lead Credit Risk Analyst operating within the Risk Office, you will build a detailed understanding of the Bank’s business though performing analytics across all of the Credit life cycle. You will have the opportunity to interact with, and influence thinking at, the most senior levels within the Bank. You will be central to strengthening the way the Bank makes decisions, ensuring Customers are always considered.
Lead Credit Risk Analyst (2nd Line)
(department, reporting relationships)
- Employ problem solving skills and critical thinking to strengthen understanding and management of Credit Risk across all aspects of lending. (For example through evaluating and challenging the design of methodologies, strategies, processes and proposals)
- Perform quantitative analysis of the Bank’s portfolio and strategic initiatives to provide independent insight of current and future Credit Risks.
- Build partnerships with business areas, influencing thinking to help deliver appropriate solutions and strategic objectives.
- Help the business to deliver on opportunities in line with both the business strategy and the Bank’s Risk Appetite.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITY
(5-10 detailed bullet points)
- Independently monitor Credit performance to identify existing and future Credit Risks, through existing MI, development of MI (including dashboard KRIs), design and delivering of independent detailed analysis and thematic investigations.
- Help make better decisions by building collaborative working relationships with departments making decisions which have an effect on Credit Risk and profitability. Provide documented, pragmatic and independent opinion to support the business to operate in a well-controlled, sustainable way
- Ensure comprehensive knowledge of the change programmes affecting Credit Risk through regular interactions with business areas, providing help and support to get the best outcomes for the business and for our customers
- Support the Bank to operate efficiently by promoting and embedding the Credit change management process in the bank
- Regular interaction with front line staff, understanding and challenging existing processes
APPLICATION OF KNOWLEDGE, PROBLEM SOLVING & INNOVATION
(5 detailed bullet points)
- Help the business find ways to strengthen Credit Risk decision-making using your experience, regulatory awareness and analytical expertise to provide additional challenge and constructive suggestions.
- Ensure that Good Customer outcomes are consistently integral to decision making
- Regularly review existing management information and undertake proactive investigations to be able to provide an independent view of the credit quality, performance and risks of our lending portfolio
- Propose areas where additional insight is required to fully understand the business and associated Credit risk. Devise, plan and deliver the required analysis and provided considered conclusions and recommendations.
- Constantly review, recommend and build the right metrics, developing MI or requesting MI from strategy owners to ensure 2nd line understanding of lending in the Bank.
- Present conclusions and recommendations clearly and concisely, both written and verbally, highlighting key trends, interactions and risks and recommendations.
- Ensure clear documentation and commented code in place for all analysis, logs of challenges and outcomes are well maintained.
- You will build trusting partnerships with business areas to both provide insight and to influence strategic thinking at a senior level.
- Key relationships will be with Accountable Executives, Senior Managers and Managers across the business
- Ensure appropriate leadership, oversight and governance of initiatives, managing issues and benefits tracking
- There is a potential requirement for relationships with PFG Risk and external regulators (PRA & FCA).
- Represent department at internal meetings
- Coaching and mentoring other Analysts
- Point of escalation in absence of Head of Credit Risk Management
- Primary focus is on the ensuring the Bank is operating effectively and Credit Risk is maintained within Risk appetite and that decisions are taken with all relevant information being considered
- Informing the CRO and our leadership’s analytical strategy by the provision of practical and informative opinion
Working conditions (hours, locations, accident or health hazards, travel facilities)
- Location London
- Flexibility to travel as and when required e.g. to attend offsite training or vendor meetings.
PERSON SPECIFICATION Job title
Lead Credit Risk Analyst
London / Chatham
Knowledge and experience requirements
- 5+ years’ experience in analytical role
- Excellent knowledge of consumer lending, acquisition risk, account management, and collections strategies
- Experience in managing aspects of consumer lending portfolios and policy and reporting that is used to manage them.
- Clear, logical and analytical approach to problem solving.
- Attention to detail / accuracy focussed
- SAS/SQL - Highly Proficient (Advanced)
- Strong influencing and communication skills
- Challenges conventional approaches
- Strong numeracy and analytical skills (business performance, competitive dynamics).
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills
- Experience of the development and deployment of credit and/ or collections strategy and the delivery of strategic projects
- Credit Card specific experience
- Strong knowledge and use of analytics and modelling, and a proven track record of strengthening risk management capabilities in a portfolio or business
- Advanced level experience in decisioning systems
- SAS - Advanced Certification
- Knowledge of other relevant programming/analytical tools such as R, Python, Hadoop, Tableau
- Experience in Credit Analytics (Cards or Loans preferred)
- Experience of VBA
Level of education/attainments
Honours Degree (2:1 or better) or equivalent in a quantitative subject such as Mathematics, Statistics, Operations Research, Engineering or Computer Science
- Credit Risk Management Certification