EXCLUSIVE: General Counsel – Commercial Banking Experience Required
We are exclusively recruiting for our Client, a highly respected and diverse banking group headquartered in London, looking for a General Counsel to take responsibility for all legal matters across the business including Corporate, Institutional and Private Banking. As a key member of the Executive Team and reporting directly to the CEO, duties will include:
• Acting as a trusted adviser to the CEO and Group Executive in UK by ensuring that commercially viable, pragmatic and practical legal support and advice is provided in a cost-effective manner across the UK Bank.
• Providing advice in an environment that is increasingly regulated, litigious and complex
• Providing advice that addresses regulatory & reputational risk as well as legal issues
• Ensuring the execution of group business and operational strategies & initiatives are facilitated;
• Identify, formulate, co-ordinate and communicate policies, procedures and controls to ensure that the Group’s legal risk is effectively managed;
• Providing counsel and legal support on matters that are complex or have strategic impact.
• Providing prompt, commercial, practical and high quality legal advice to all UK Banking, including a significant focus on transactions and activities in the UK and an additional focus on some cross jurisdictional matters.
• Being proactive in the provision of legal support and in advising the CEO and other Senior Management of material legal developments and their implications
• Building and maintaining positive and effective relationships with panel law firms and other appropriate external parties
• Maintaining and developing positive and professional working relationships with all executive team members within UK and the functions/departments for which the jobholder is responsible
• Leading, managing, and supporting all staff that report to the jobholder
You will ideally be a member of the Law Society with no less than 10 years’ post qualification experience, gained either in a similar In-House role or senior position within practice. While you will need to be an experienced and confident practitioner, as important will be your sound technical knowledge in the area of Commercial banking.
This is an exceptional opportunity for a senior legal counsel to join an international banking group in an executive management role where you well be actively involved in strategic decisions. It goes without saying that such a role requires not only thought leadership on legal & regulatory developments but also the ability to influence your colleagues and senior management as well as to develop relationships with external industry peers and regulators.
Should you feel you have the experience and above average communication and technical skills to be success in this role and would like to know more, please contact Gary Collins on 020 7562 7400 for a confidential discussion about this position or send your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
Symes Collins – Part of the Compliance Recruitment Solutions Group
We are acting as an employment agency in relation to this role.
Through application, all candidates signify their acceptance of the above information and confirm that the information they provide is true and accurate to the best of their knowledge.