This job is no longer available
Senior Risk Analyst – London – Asset Management
Our client is an established and leading independent global asset manager, they are currently looking to recruit a Senior Risk Analyst for their London office.
Provides retail, high net-worth and institutional clients with access to skilled investment professionals representing a broad range of asset classes including equities. London based firm with over £50billion of asset under management and employs over 1000 people globally.
Senior Risk Analyst
Circa £75,000 per annum + benefits
The Risk Management division has been designed to be functionally independent from the portfolio management process, and forms part of the “second line of defence” across the companies funds. Whilst independent by reporting line, the Investment Risk team is physically close to the majority of fund managers which is designed to maximise the benefits of independence and good communication/interaction with the fund managers on an ongoing basis. There are strong formal oversight and escalation mechanisms in place with regular risk meetings with fund managers chaired by senior investment personnel and a monthly Investment Risk Committee attended by senior investment and risk personnel.
The Investment Risk team which is part of the risk function is concerned with understanding client expectations and ensuring the fund risk profile reflects these expectations. Thus the fund profile, overall level of risk and the composition of that risk is measured, analysed and monitored by the Investment Risk team to ensure it is consistent with client expectations. Furthermore, as part of the process, understanding the fund manager views and convictions are crucial to ensure alignment with the fund aim and risk profile
Overview of the Role:
To monitor and analyse the risk on a variety of equity funds, hedge funds and fund of funds/funds of hedge funds. Ultimately the aim of the role is to ensure fund risk profiles reflect client expectations. This is achieved through working with fund managers on a regular basis to help them manage risk either through direct 1-2-1 meetings or through the oversight meetings. This will include explaining risk information, dealing with queries and ad-hoc analysis requests. There is a requirement to escalate concerns and highlight the levels/split of risk to senior management including the Head of Investment Risk. The nature of the role demands a strong understanding of asset pricing and risks and an ability to communicate effectively with fund managers, senior managers and other business support functions such as sales and marketing. A strong understanding of fund risks and risk systems as well as the strengths and weaknesses of them is a must.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Production and analysis of regular risk attribution reports for assigned funds (Equities, Hedge Funds, FoF/FoHF) for use by the Fund Managers, Head of Investment Risk and the CRO, and other interested users of the data such as senior management, marketing, and compliance
- Provide oversight reporting for all assigned funds to senior management teams – highlighting areas of concern.
- Escalation of issues to Head of Investment Risk and other senior management
- Work with Fund managers in regular 1-2-1 or oversight risk meetings covering all aspects of investment risk to help manage risk
- Present to prospective and existing clients on investment risk
- Contribution to the development of fund risk analysis
- Build and maintain relationship between the Risk team and other business support teams
- Production of adhoc reports for the business, focused on risk issues in the prevailing markets
- Respond to direct requests from Fund Managers.
- Assist IT to develop new systems/feeds and enhance existing feeds. This may include investigating the data requirements for new instrument types, sourcing this data and testing the risk output.
- Assist the team in suggesting new analytics that will be beneficial to Fund Managers and senior management in the understanding of investment risk.
- Working closely with other members of the team, providing technical support, as appropriate.
Technical Skills & Qualifications Required
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- IMC and/or CFA is desirable
- Previous experience of working in the risk management function with an asset management company
- Significant risk management experience and in particular extensive equities and probably hedge fund risk experience
- Technical skills:
o Strong quantitative skills
o Excellent knowledge of derivatives (types, valuation/pricing, risks)
o General knowledge of the equity funds, hedge funds markets (styles/strategies) and multi manager.
o Detailed knowledge of tracking error, VaR, and stress testing methodologies together with an appreciation of their limitations
- Working knowledge of RiskMetrics, Barra Aegis, style research, finanalytica or similar systems beneficial.
- Advanced Excel and IT skills including strong knowledge of Macros desirable
- Competencies Required
- Team orientated
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken
- Ability to plan and organise workload to perform both routine and adhoc tasks
- Ability to build strong working relationships with internal clients at all levels
- Ability to work closely with external software providers as and when required
- Ability to use initiative and influence a variety of stakeholders across all levels of the business
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to assimilate knowledge quickly with a desire to improve knowledge of all products/funds
- A flexible approach with the ability to think laterally
- Excellent analytical skills, with the ability to present detailed analysis in a clear and concise manner
- High degree of numeracy
The Emerald Group specialises in finding positions for experienced Risk & Compliance professionals within the asset management industry. Contact the team today to discuss our live job vacancies.